There are a number of things we can do to achieve a healthier lifestyle and reduce our chances of suffering diseases or ailments. Making lifestyle changes can help us become healthier and happier. Here are five ways to maintain a healthier lifestyle.
1) Eat a variety of fruit and vegetables daily. Vegetables such as leafy greens in addition to colourful fruits provides your body with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These can help to boost your immune system and help you ward off diseases. The World Health Organisation recommends trying to eat between five and nine portions of fruit and vegetables per week to give you a better chance of fighting off certain cancers, avoiding diseases such as diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease.
2) Increase your water intake. Water helps to hydrate, nourish, as well as help to eliminate toxins from the body, energise muscles and improve brain function.
3) Manage your mental health. This includes things such as socialising, sleeping 7-9 hours per night, exercising and finding things you enjoy. Our mental health can have a big impact on our physical health, so it is important to work towards improved mental wellbeing.
4) Destress. Take time out and try and reduce your overall stress levels. Unwinding and relaxation can result in a feeling of happiness and calm.
5) Exercise. It has been shown that physical activity improves longevity and overall health. The American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes of vigorous exercise at least three times per week. This can include activities such as dancing, aerobics, yoga, running, or brisk walking.